Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Spaghetti al Limone


This is currently my favorite dish to eat. This recipe for Spaghetti al Limone is super simple. It is exactly what you think; spaghetti with a light lemon sauce. You can add chicken and vegetables to it, but I think it's perfect just as it is. I got this straight out of Cook's Illustrated. Have you ever read this magazine? If not, you should. The writers attack a dish with passion and make it the best it can be by breaking down every aspect of the recipe, explaining their process and the science behind it. I love that they tell us what techniques don't work for a particular recipe and why. So I changed nothing about their recipe as I trust that they perfected it.

While enjoying this meal picture yourself in Italy, along the Amalfi Coast. You can serve the meal outside in the sun with a nice Pinot Gris and some soft Italian music playing in the background.



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb spaghetti (dried)
  • 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 3 juicy lemons: get 2 teaspoons finely grated zest and 1/4 cup juice
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chiffonade of basil leaves
  1. Prepare pasta al dente (slightly underdone) according to package directions.
  2. Reserve 1 3/4 cups cooking water and set drained pasta aside. 
  3. Using same pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and pinch of salt, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. 
  4. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups reserved pasta water and cream into pot, bring to a simmer, and cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and add back in pasta, tossing thoroughly to coat well. Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. 
  6. Cover and let pasta stand for 2 minutes, tossing frequently and adjusting consistency with remaining 1/4 cup water. Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  7. Serve individual portions sprinkled with more cheese and drizzled with more olive oil if desired. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this pasta. I wish you could post more often. I love your recipes and always enjoy my visits here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, mary! i'm glad you like my blog :)

    ReplyDelete