Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Date with a Pig


A couple of years ago my mom came to town for a weekend visit and we ate dinner at Milk and Honey, a tapas restaurant in downtown Santa Barbara. After two different friends highly recommended we order the "Date with a Pig" we, of course, could not resist. Simply, a date wrapped in bacon and drizzled with honey, it was amazingly delicious. We even ordered a second helping after devouring the first dish that came out. 


Could I recreate the Date with a Pig at home? After much experimentation I have concluded that they must deep fry their bacon wrapped dates; I just couldn't get it exactly right in an oven no matter what I tried. However, my version is pretty darn good and I love bringing these little babies to parties. 

Ingredients:
  • 10 dates, cut in half lengthwise with the pits removed
  • 10 strips of thick cut bacon, cut in half to make 20 short pieces
  • salt
  • honey
  • 20 toothpicks, soaked in water for 20 minutes
  1. Wrap each date with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. 
  2. Place on a sheet pan and sprinkle with salt.
  3. Cook for 20 minutes at 350. Turn over and cook for another 10-20 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. 
  4. Allow to cool slightly and serve drizzled lightly with honey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment