Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Aunt Jackie's" Noodle Bake

When I got married, my mother-in-law gave me a recipe book of my husband's favorite childhood meals. The recipe he asks me to make most often is his Aunt Jackie's Noodle Bake. For him, it brings back memories of big family get-togethers and being at his aunts house after church on Sundays. It's amazing how food can transport you to a different time and place.
This noodle bake is pretty indulgent, but I use lighter ingredients if possible (like light cream cheese) and you can't tell that I made the substitutions.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 12 oz package egg noodles (I use pappardelle)
  • 4 oz cream cheese (light okay)
  • 1 cup sour cream (light okay)
  • 3 stalks of green onion, finely sliced
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. In saute pan, cook ground beef and drain off fat.
  2. Add garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and tomato sauce, and stir together.
  3. In pot, cook noodles according to package directions and drain. Add cream cheese, sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and green onion.
  4. Grease 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer noodle mixture with meat mixture, and top with cheese.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! That beats the Mac and Cheese I had for dinner. (Don't tell my mom...please!)

    ReplyDelete