Friday, August 12, 2011

Ernie's Tijuana Torte


I love potlucks at work because my coworkers make some awesome food! One of the many stars at these potlucks is Ernie's Tijuana Torte. It is a Mexican version of lasagna, layering tortillas with tomato meat sauce and cheese, and it is delicious! Ernie was kind enough to share his recipe with me which I made exactly as instructed (because you don't mess with perfection!).


My Tijuana Torte came out really saucy and the layers didn't really hold up, but I tend to have the same problem with traditional lasagna too. I think I put too much filling in between my layers so be sure to go light when you make this. Despite it's sloppy appearance, it tasted delicious! Now that I know how easy this is, I don't have to wait for a potluck next time I'm craving Ernie's Tijuana Torte. Thank, Ernie!
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1-1 lb can of whole tomatoes
  • 1-8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1-4 oz can diced green chiles.
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning, or make your own by combining cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika, etc.
  • Flour tortillas
  • 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1.5 cups sour cream
  1. In large pan, saute onion in oil. Add ground beef and brown. Next, add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, and seasoning, and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. Spoon the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish, creating a thin layer. Place a layer of tortillas over the mixture, tearing them if necessary. Spread more meat mixture over the tortillas and then a layer of cheese.
  3. Continue to layer tortillas, meat mixture, and cheese. Before adding the last layer of tortillas, spread the sour cream over the mixture.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment